The UK government has made a number of concessions and options available to Ukrainians as a result of the current humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.
Ukrainians family narrative
Extensive family members of British nationals can apply to the Ukraine Family Scheme beginning March 4, 2022. Grandparents, adult children, and siblings are examples of extended family members. Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements can apply online.
Furthermore, extended family members will be able to bring their immediate family to the UK.
Immediate family members living in Ukraine are now eligible to apply for a family migration visa. Ukrainians’ British family members must include the following:
- a spouse or civil partner
- an unmarried partner
- your parent if you are under the age of 18
- your child under the age of 18
- an adult relative you provide care for who lives with you due to a medical condition
Ukrainians Humanitarian Route
The UK government announced plans for a new visa scheme for Ukrainians with no ties to the UK. This will be an “uncapped sponsored” humanitarian visa route. It will allow sponsors, private individual sponsors, or local authorities, to bring people from Ukraine to the UK. Sponsored individuals will be able to work in the UK. The sponsor will have to provide housing and integration assistance.
Extending existing visas
Certain allowances have been made for Ukrainians who are currently in the UK under different visa routes. This comes in accordance with current government guidance:
- Ukrainian nationals who currently hold visas on an existing points-based system route such as a Tier 4 student visa can extend their leave in the UK.
- Ukrainian nationals who are currently in the UK on an existing visitor visa can exceptionally switch into a points-based system immigration route without having to leave the UK and apply from another country. Usually, when a person holds a visit visa they must leave the UK after their visit and before their visa expires.
- Ukrainian nationals who are in the UK and hold an existing visitor visa can apply under the family route which will allow them to stay in the UK, provided they meet the requirements for the visa based on exceptional circumstances.
- Ukrainians who currently hold an existing UK seasonal worker visa will be able to stay in the UK until 31st December 2022.
- Ukrainian nationals in the UK as temporary HGV drivers/pork butchers can stay until 31st December 2022 and can apply to the skilled worker route.
Source: Hudson McKenzie